Client Problem: Hospitality staff caught stealing from hotel guest’s luggage.
- Filipino bellboy opened a luggage when guest was away, and the guest complained of missing jewelries.
- He was caught on CCTV and the footage of the incident was uploaded on social media.
- The video scandal made rounds online swiftly.
RENSOL’s Solution: Investigation, Disciplinary Action, Intensive Background Checking
- Rensol Recruitment imposed disciplinary action toward the accused employee as provided in Art. 145 of the Revised Philippine Overseas Employment Administration Rules and Regulations Governing the Recruitment and Employment of Land- based Overseas Filipino Workers of 2016.
- The Philippine Partner Recruitment Agency employed a more intensive background check and rigorous character referencing in screening candidates for hotel and restaurant sites moving forward.
Theft in hospitality is not uncommon. It is not as rampant as we think but it is not also an isolated case to ignore. While the nature of the industry makes it more prone to opportunities of stealing from guests, honesty and integrity are still expected among hotel employees.
Case on Point: Resolution given for a Travel Hotspot
A Filipino bellman of a famous hotel and resort in the Middle East got sacked after having caught stealing jewelries from a guest’s luggage. CCTV footages showed that he opened her luggage while the guest was away. The accused didn’t plead no contest to charges of stealing as all evidences prodded him. He confessed that he was forced to steal from the guest because of his father who got ill. He pawned the jewelries he stole and sent the money to his family in the Philippines.
Unfortunately, a copy of the CCTV was uploaded online, and it became viral on different social media sites. As much as the hotel valued the service of the Filipino bellboy, who has been a reliable and trustworthy employee for more than three years, they can’t just tolerate the damage that the incident has caused their reputation as a major tourism destination.
It is good that the accuser didn’t push through sending the employee to jail but was only terminated and repatriated to save the company from further embarrassment.
As their global partner recruitment agency in The Philippines, Rensol assures that their partnership does not end with just providing the principal a competitive manpower. They are guaranteed with a friend and a defender in times of need and serious crises. That is how they build lasting relationships. As soon as Rensol received the incident report, it was acted upon accordingly even if it was above and beyond their mandate as a recruitment agency.
Rensol made the proper intervention to manage the case.
- Upon receiving the report, Rensol coordinated with the hotel, the aggrieved party, and the accused to follow the progress of the investigation and the decision on penalties to be charged. They assisted the hotel with their best practices in crisis management and employed necessary measures to settle the dispute peacefully.
- Upon repatriation, The Philippine partner recruitment agency temporarily disqualified the dismissed employee to participate in any overseas employment program from the agency for a year as a standard disciplinary measure.
Employee theft in hospitality services can only be prevented by hiring people on whom employers can trust. A hospitality recruitment agency should have the best practices on pre-screening candidates, which includes an ethical system of backgrounding.
Aside from strictly seeking for clearance from the National Bureau of Investigations, Rensol conducts intensive reference check among every candidate before referring them to any client. By checking each applicant’s criminal backgrounds, they systematically eliminate culprits from their pool of potential hires. They also require each to have valid character references to counter check their academic background, professional track record, and even family history.
Rensol is also one of the very few recruitment agencies out of more than a thousand in the Philippines who can conduct their own Pre-departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) where workers will be oriented on prior consequences of misconducts like theft.
ABOUT THE COMPANY: Rensol Recruitment and Consulting, Inc. is the fastest growing recruitment agency in The Philippines. A career consultant that aims to go above and beyond the level of expectations of both the aspirations of the candidates and the dream team standards of employers through providing exceptional opportunities and unparalleled quality-driven recruitment services.
Book Reader. Writer. Educator. Dreamer. – Johann joins Rensol Recruitment and Consulting with 8 years of extensive experience in Marketing Management, Sales & Business Development, Content & Creative Development, Digital & Communications Marketing, Learning Management & Training. He creates and moderate all internal and external content and leads thought leadership in the market to drive the bottom line. He is also passionate about growth techniques that utilize search optimization, paid promotions, blogging, online reputation management and social media marketing.